Case Studies & Testimonials
Helping You Solve Your Business Problems
Hard to fill role
- The client was a niche non-life insurer, an existing client of Star Actuarial.
- The role was the first in-house non-life actuary in the building.
- This role was released to us on an exclusive basis for 1 month, following the successful fulfilment of a previous mandate.
- There was a large degree of flexibility in the level of candidate, with the key requirements being a willingness to get their hands dirty and the ability to influence senior management.
- We submitted 13 such candidates to the client, 10 of whom were invited to 1st interview.
- 3 candidates were invited to return for 2nd interview and a preferred candidate was identified.
- This candidate accepted our client’s offer of employment.
High volume of roles
- The client was a leading insurance group, an existing client with a competitive PSL.
- There were various roles to fill across multiple divisions and UK locations.
- We developed a strong partnership with HR and the Business.
- Initial senior appointments included Solvency II Director, Commercial Director and Actuarial Function Holder.
- Having filled these roles, we were asked to work on more vacancies within the Finance, Risk and Audit teams, and also to build a specialist Capital Aggregation team.
- We have made more than 50 placements with this client since 2010.
- Permanent remuneration packages range from £30,000 pa to £300,000 pa.
PSL not delivering
- The client was a leading consultancy, an existing client of Star Actuarial with a competitive PSL.
- The roles were Director of GI, Risk Actuarial Lead & Capital Modelling Actuary.
- The Director of GI role was initially released to another agency on the PSL on an exclusive basis for one month. The role was then released to us.
- We submitted 2 candidates to the client on the day following the role being released. Both candidates were invited to 1st interview.
- A preferred candidate was identified and invited back for a 2nd interview.
- This candidate was offered the job during the 2nd interview and accepted.
- We have subsequently helped the successful candidate build their team with the placement of a permanent Risk Actuarial Lead and an interim Capital Modelling Actuary.
Need to meet DE&I objectives?
The Client: Major Composite Insurer
The Role: A wide range of actuarial vacancies from Student Actuary to Senior Qualified Actuary
- The company was a major composite insurer and key client of Star Actuarial.
- They had a commitment to increase gender diversity across the business within a set period.
- This commitment was sponsored at the highest level as part of a company-wide approach.
- This was echoed at the individual-vacancy level via briefings and shortlisting targets.
- We worked closely with the HR team adopting the approach described above.
- The result: 20 female placements out of 34 total placements (circa 60%) over the relevant period.
- NB, this is in the context of an Actuarial Profession where two thirds of members are male and one third of members are female.
"As a diverse team, we recognise the significance of promoting equity and embracing differences. Throughout the process, our team's collective efforts demonstrated drive and commitment in working collaboratively to assist our client in achieving its Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DE&I) agenda. The team's hard work was evident in the thoughtful strategies and initiatives implemented. We take pride in the impact we've made and remain committed to advancing DE&I both within our team and in the broader actuarial community. "
Seeking a specialist skill set
- The client was a major client with a competitive PSL.
- The role was an in-house Pensions Actuary.
- Having filled two previous in-house roles with this client, we were invited to provide candidates for a new role.
- We spoke with a wide range of high-quality candidates and submitted 15 to the client.
- 9 of these candidates were selected for first interview (out of a total of 12 first interviews).
- 4 of these candidates were invited to return for a second interview.
- An offer was made to the preferred candidate which was accepted.
I need to fill my roles quickly
- The client was a leading consultancy, an existing client with a competitive PSL.
- The roles were an urgent need for Senior Manager, Manager and Assistant Manager level interim resource.
- These roles were released to us following successfully filling a number of permanent vacancies.
- We contacted circa 50 contracting actuaries and began submitting available candidates to the client.
- We scheduled circa 20 interviews with these candidates over a 6-week period.
- We completed screening for 9 candidates who accepted offers and started as planned.
- During this period, we also continued to provide high-quality permanent candidates to this client, with further candidates accepting offers to take up positions.
Multiple vacancies across different sectors
- The client was a leading UK Insurer, an existing client with a competitive PSL.
- The brief was to fill multiple roles across the life and non-life business.
- We developed a relationship with this client by working on their difficult-to-fill non-life vacancies.
- Through this success the client requested that we pitch for a large piece of recruitment - multiple roles at the qualified and part-qualified levels.
- We pitched, agreed rates and won the instruction alongside one other agency.
- The work on this project ultimately resulted in 13 placements across the life and non-life actuarial functions over a 16-month period.
- Packages ranged from £40,000 to £180,000.
Excellent service! By far the best recruiters I dealt with in the Actuarial space (and there were many).
STAR have provided me with a truly life-changing experience in helping to secure a position at a company I never would’ve applied for myself. Fantastic service from a company and staff I will always be grateful to.
Star Actuarial demonstrate an excellent understanding of both employer and potential employee needs. Dealing with Star is overwhelmingly positive.
You have definitely helped me through this whole process, I couldn't have done it without you. I appreciate everything you have done for me.
Great relationship with a very professional company that knows and understands our culture and the type of people we’re looking to recruit.
Thanks for all your help. You were really great and I always felt like you actually listened to me and what my requirements were, rather than trying to force a role on me that I didn't want, like some other recruiters.
I appreciate you help over the last few months with potential roles. You are head and shoulders better than the other recruiters I spoke to!!!
Thanks a lot for all your help and support, you are a star! I feel really lucky that I met you on my `looking for new job' journey!
Thank you so much for all your help through this process. I’ve really appreciated your calm and reasonable approach. I like how you guided me, listened openly to my concerns/ worries and helped me approach things in a measured and sensible manner which I haven’t always experienced from ‘typical recruiters’ (which I know you aren’t) in the past.
I’ve had an excellent experience working with Star Actuarial Futures, they took the time to listen to me to really understand what I was looking for in my next role. They were very calm and never pressured me into applying for roles that didn’t align with what I wanted.
Clare was absolutely amazing in everything she did. She found and prepared me for the interview, giving me some extremely insightful and useful information. She is a lovely person to talk with, and it made the whole process feel fluid and straightforward. Thank you Clare, you are amazing.